Friday, February 7, 2014

Triumphs and Challenges

Almost at the end of Week 1, the easing in week and I feel good.

Not really health wise yet. In actuality I feel pretty exhausted, lethargic and have big headaches. Although I must admit that was earlier in the week. This morning I have woken up feeling the best I have all week.

But I feel pretty good with my triumph over my mental state at the moment.

Let me explain. No there is too much, let me sum up (I love using geeky Princess Bride quotes wherever I can). So I have been cutting down on my sugar. I have not been perfect. However I am so much more mindful of what I am putting into my body.

Case in point/Triumph Number 1:
Forgot to buy a major ingredient on the shopping list for Wednesday's Meal

Now normally, this would have put me in a bit of a spin, and I would have got really frustrated.  I didn't have time to pop down to the shops as I had to go to choir. So I looked at the other meals, and decided that I would switch it round and make Friday's stuffed mushroom. Success!! And gosh were they yummy. They stay on my keep list. I was proud of myself for easily staying focussed and eating well.

Triumph Number 2:
As Thursday was a public holiday I spent the day out with my partner

This was challenging as it was the first time since being on the programme that I had been challenged by eating out. I looked at the menu carefully, and chose well, and although it wasn't perfect it was a good choice. What is actually harder though is choosing drinks. There is generally no sugar free options out (other than herbal teas or hot milk with cinnamon which I will have to try) so I just opt for water. I like water so that's ok. We also went into Akaroa (a little seaside village an hour an a half from Christchurch and I bought my partner an icecream. Weirdly though, I wasn't even craving one. I didn't even want one. My cravings have been far less severe which is strange but good.

Triumph Number 3:
Lack of cravings

I don't know if this is a triumph, but I just don't want sweet stuff. Now that I am looking at the sugar content of stuff, I just don't want chocolate (store bought that is) and because this week is the ease yourself in I have been allowed sweetners (which I have not gone crazy with but have used). I think I am going to find the next few weeks incredibly difficult but we'll get there.

Triumph Number 4:
Had friend to stay and ate stall food

I did not choose (nor felt like) anything fried or sweet. I ate a beautiful falaffel souvlaki (although truth be told this is probably what I would have chosen anyway, so isn't really a triumph). What was a triumph however was that I tried a true (no fruit as a base) vegetable juice for the first time and actually thought it tasted ok. Not amazing, as my taste buds for sweet haven't changed that quickly but I actually LIKED it. This is a triumph!

Triumph Number 5:
Going to a party with lots of snacky food on the table

I brought sugar free raspberry ripple, one of the I quit Sugar recipes, and OMG (yes I did just say that) it was amazing. I was quite anxious about bringing something that I had never made before, and was so different to everything else, but it was so delicious (especially once the raspberries starting melting). So good. Just so good. I had no desire to eat any of the crap food on the table, and my bringing sugar free stuff led to interesting conversations with people, and one in particular with this woman who also has PCOS and tries to monitor it with diet like I am trying to do.


Challenges Left this weekend:

2 BBQs, so 2 nights off the plan food. I will choose wisely I think. Looking forward to a quieter week busy wise next week, and although I am terrified of cutting all sweetners out, I know I can do this. I am already starting to feel better in my body. This is going to be great!

No comments:

Post a Comment